Hmmm, so what have you been reading this week?
There’s so much interesting stuff out there, it’s hard to filter everything and choose what to read and what not to.
A few things I found interesting recently:
- Local elections in SA last week, they’ve come and gone but the echoes remain. Democracy maybe won, who knows, but that awesome protest against Zuma by those badass ladies in evening gowns was something worth noting. These ladies will not let us forget (rightly so) that our Number1 was once accused of rape and that the rape epidemic in our country continues.
- In other election wonderings, I was confused, as usual, about who to vote for. I don’t like the DA because it seems they don’t like masjid-building and they are zionist (or at least ambivalent, or at least in favour of a 2 state solution). And then Maimane tried to placate the Muslims via Radio Islam.
- Other than elections, there’s this cool article in The Atlantic about how life on reality TV bears a striking resemblance to life in Jane Austen’s time, the women grasping for status and fame through marriage, all the maneuvering and shenanigans aimed at that grand prize.
- Then there’s this really scary piece on food safety, and what gross things go into a lot of the food we eat, with some useful advice on what you can safely put in your mouth. This “neurotic eater’s grocery list” is sure to give you some food for thought.
- And this tidbit, about the Jewish Orthodox hit squad in New York, a gang of religious “lawyers” and rabbis who force guys into giving their wives divorces (in Jewish custom, men have all the power to divorce, or withhold the divorce, sometimes leaving an unhappy wife a “chained woman”). Their methods of persuasion? Basically, beat the guy up until he signs the divorce papers. Check out the article for the pics alone, which are a funny look at what orthodox thugs could look like.
Let me know about any other weird and wonderful articles, on any random and odd topic, in the comments!